Mini-Projects: Comic Life and Wordle

21 Oct

My first mini-project was with Comic Life. I created a comic about two students talking about the meaning of setting, conflict and resolution in novels. I liked this way of presenting the material to the students, because it’s informative but interesting at the same time. I could see teachers using this tool in the classroom to relate their topics to the students, but I can also see the students using this program to create their own projects. I think this would also be a great for the students to use to teach other students about topics being taught in class. I could see myself splitting students up into groups and having them create an informative comic aimed at a certain demographic or age group (maybe their peers, maybe younger students).

Wordle was incredibly simple to use; really it’s just a plug-and-chug kind of website. Despite this, or maybe because of it, I thought this site was interesting and would be really helpful for students who are visual learners. I think this would definitely be a great starter activity for a larger unit, but I see myself having trouble stretching it out into a longer activity. I do like the fact that students can submit their own words and see the words that come from their classmates; I think this is a great way to spread a feeling of classroom community and to allow students to check in with their peers.

2 Responses

1. mray says:

I think it is interesting that I selected two different mini projects. These were the last two I would have chosen, but your description of how you use them in your class sounds excellent. I wonder whether the difference in our choice of mini projects is because of our disciplines, our teaching styles, our stduents, or something else.

2. jerobinson says:

I found Wordle very interesting and easy to use also. I agree that the word clouds are great for visual learners. I like the visual representation of the text that Wordle creates. For primary grades I think Wordle activities would be best used being introductory or concluding activities.

Instructional Technologies

Just another UMW Blogs weblog