Wallwisher

14 Oct

http://wallwisher.com/wall/wahoorach

I liked this tool- I am a sticky-note person and I use them to remember small bits and pieces of information I know I will need later on. I like that other people can add to the wall, creating a community of post-it notes. I think students would respond positively to this- the design is easy to use and it’s a good outlet for their ideas.

I think this would work especially well in an English classroom, where students need to learn how to share opinions orally and through the written word. I was a little irritated with the character limit, but just like with Twitter, this forces students to be concise and to only say what they mean. Solomon and Schrum address this issue with Twitter by saying, “People have generated shortcuts to communicate well beyond text messaging codes…” (Solomon & Schrum, 2013, p. 34). Today’s students are used to using Twitter and other sites that force them to become creative in their communication strategies. It is just as important to be able to express oneself in a direct way in the real world as it is in the academic world, and I think Wallwisher is a great way to help students practice this skill.

Resources:

Solomon, G., & Schrum, L. (2013).Web 2.0: how-to for educators. (1st ed.). Eugene, Oregon: International Society for Technology in Education

One Response

1. rcugarte says:

Rachel,
    I really liked this tool also! I liked how you used it as well, the literary quotes are clear and concise, and with today’s students, this is an activity that they will probably gravitate to. As you mention in your blog, there is a character limit, but this is something that they are already used to with texting and tweeting. This is definitely a site that could be useful in any classroom/

Instructional Technologies

Just another UMW Blogs weblog