Flipping the Classroom

07 Oct

I have mixed feelings about the Flipped classroom. I know that for me, as a student, I really respond to human interaction when trying to learn new concepts. I like the freedom that the Flipped classroom offers, in terms of being able to do activities in class, but my worry is that valuable teacher-student conversations would suffer. The Flipped Student Infographic did say, “After students watch lessons, they write down any questions they have. Teachers review those questions with students individually” (“The flipped classroom,” 2012). This only works if the students actually write down the questions. There is also the distraction variable: will students be committed to watching (and paying attention) to the lecture while at home? The lecture video will be competing with even more distractions at home than in the classroom.

The examples of flipped classrooms mostly had to do with math/science classrooms, so I am unsure as to how this would work in an English classroom. On the one hand, having classtime to read novels might actually ensure that students do the reading, whereas they might blow it off at home. On the other hand, there’s really no reason for the teacher to be present while students are reading (unless they are ELL students, or students who need extra help with reading). Would this be a waste of class time? Discussions are so important to an English classroom, and while some of this can be done in online forums, there is no substitute for the ability to express oneself in a face-to-face situation.

Despite my reservations, the statistics do not lie. The Flipped Classroom Infographic states that before the flip 50% of freshmen students failed English, and after the flip only 19% of freshmen failed English (“The flipped classroom”, 2012). This means something about this method must be working, right? I think I might use aspects of the Flipped classroom, maybe for certain lessons, but I’m still skeptical about fully converting my classroom into a flipped one.

Works Cited:

The flipped classroom infographic. (2012). Retrieved from http://www.knewton.com/flipped-classroom/

One Response

1. samanthabrinkmann says:

Rachel,

I think you bring up an interesting point in regards to the importance of discussion and face-to-face instruction. While I really do like the flipped model approach, I would be hesitant to fully implement it my classroom. There is something to be said for the classroom discussions,bouncing ideas off of peers, and friendly face-to-face debate that stem from in-class lectures. I cannot help but think that some of this meaningful interaction will be lost in classrooms that restrict lectures to online podcasts. I understand that flipped classrooms do not necessarily mean there will be an absence of these learning processes, however I am a bit partial to it and believe that in class discussions and lectures should still be a strong presence in the classroom. I believe it contributes to advanced learning just as much as hands-on learning does.

Instructional Technologies

Just another UMW Blogs weblog