Professional Learning Network

30 Sep

Having had some previous experience with a personal Twitter, I was interested to see how it could be used in the classroom. I especially liked the links Dr. Coffman gave us to the Twitter pages specialized to our content area. I was not aware that those existed, and they would be great resources for the students. Solomon and Schrum say, “…for pupils, there will be familiarity with a style of interacting and inquiry that arises from browsing within these spaces, even when the young learner has not been an active producer” (Solomon & Schrum, 2010, p. 85). I think students will really respond to learning from an application they use everyday.

I also previously had set up a Linkedin for personal use, although after connecting with a few classmates, I never did anything else with it. I didn’t know about the groups on Linkedin, so I’m excited to try those out and figure out what information I can glean from them.

I do find that having all these resources is a little overwhelming. It seems like some of them overlap their uses. I know the point of this class is to get exposed to as many resources as possible and to be able to weed through and pick out the ones we find most useful. I just feel myself getting bogged down right now, trying to remember which site provides me with which information.

Animoto looks much simpler than Scratch, which I had a really hard time with. I liked the idea that this could be almost like a teaser-trailer for the lesson. Not the main event, but something to get the kids interested and invested. I’m excited to get started with this software and potentially use it in my classroom one day!

Resources:

Solomon, G., & Schrum, L. (2010). Web 2.0: how-to for educators. (1st ed.). Eugene, Oregon: International Society for Technology in Education

Instructional Technologies

Just another UMW Blogs weblog