Computer Programming with Scratch

23 Sep

In seventh grade I was taught the Hamburger method to writing essays. The idea is that the buns represent your intro and conclusion paragraphs, while the meat, lettuce and tomato represent your three main idea paragraphs. I think I liked this method because it was visual and as a 13 year old, I could easily see how it related to the paper I was writing. Because of the visual nature of this lesson, I decided to use it as my first foray into the world of Scratch.

This was difficult for me, I’ll admit. I’m both immensely proud of the final product (because, I did it) but at the same time embarrassed because it is nothing beyond crude. Part of my problem is that I’m impatient, and I would rather play around with the program than watch the tutorials (which I would NOT advise to my students!)

Watching other finished Scratches made me want to become better at this technology, but now I find myself a bit frustrated at my lack of competency. I see why students would find this technology engaging to watch, and it makes me wish I had taken more programming courses before now.

I think this is a great tool to use for students who are visual learners, and a way to incorporate their interests and a little fun into the lesson plan. It seems (and maybe this is because I am a new user) that the length of time it takes to create a Scratch may outweigh the eventual classroom benefits. Playing around with this software made me think of how much more I prefer prezi and even bubbl, which I feel are more user-friendly and make more sense (to me, at least).

Instructional Technologies

Just another UMW Blogs weblog